Simple Way to Make Real Red Beans &amp; Rice (Louisiana Style) for Dinner Recipe
Hello everybody, I hope you’re having an incredible day today. Today, I will show you a way to make a special dish, red beans & rice (louisiana style). It is one of my favorites. For mine, I’m gonna make it a little bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style) is one of the most popular of current trending foods in the world. It’s appreciated by millions every day. It’s easy, it’s fast, it tastes delicious. They are fine and they look fantastic. Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style) is something that I’ve loved my whole life.
To begin with this particular recipe, we must first prepare a few components. You can cook red beans & rice (louisiana style) using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style):
- Make ready 1 lb. “dry” red kidney beans (or small red beans)
- Get 4 cups vegetable stock
- Make ready 1 cup water
- Take 1 smoked ham hock (or hambone)
- Prepare 2 dried bay leaves
- Make ready Dash salt and pepper
- Make ready 1 Tsp. dried thyme
- Get 1/2 Tsp. cayenne pepper
- Make ready 1/2 Tsp. dried sage
- Take Dash Cajun seasonings
- Take Dash olive oil
- Get 1 lb. andouille sausage
- Get 1 medium onion, diced
- Take 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Make ready 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- Get 2 Tbs. garlic, minced
- Take 1 lb. cured ham, diced
- Prepare 1-2 cups debris gravy (beef/pork gravy)
- Take 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Get Dash hot sauce & cider vinegar
- Prepare 5-6 cups “cooked” long grain white rice
Steps to make Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style):
- Day ahead: Soak beans overnight in a large pot of salted water. This hydrates the beans and reduces the overall cooking time the next day.
- Drain the beans and then add the measured stock and water to the pot. Place the ham hock, bay leaves, and all the seasonings into the pot.
- Bring this to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover (slightly ajar) and simmer for 2.5 hours. Stir occasionally.
- [At the 2.5 hour mark …] - In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and brown the andouille sausage for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, sauté onions, bell pepper, and celery in a little oil until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and heat this for another minute.
- Transfer the vegetables to the simmering pot of beans. Slice the sausage (1/3 inch) and diced ham and add to the pot. Continue to simmer.
- [At the 3.5 hour mark …] - Remove the ham hock, shred the meat, and add to the pot. Add the brown gravy and parsley with a dash of hot sauce and vinegar and stir. Heat this for 30 minutes.
- Serve the bean-gravy (when the beans are tender) over steamed white rice, with a side of cornbread and enjoy.
So that is going to wrap this up for this exceptional food red beans & rice (louisiana style) recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I’m confident you can make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to bookmark this page on your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!